Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What we do after our shifts...

The premise of this blog is all about being a server. More specifically, how I, deal with being a server. And 95% of the posts will be work related. (Ironically- when I just typed "related", I missed the "r" and typed "elated"...BWAAAAHAHAHA...moving on)

But we all clock out at sometime.

And when I'm not working- I'm at school or at some theatre in town.

I will say this...I can PROMISE you that I will never whine about broken hearts or boys. (It's part of my new leaf). That stuff will be confined to more productive things- like Facebook notes.

Today at work was fairly uneventful- although folks, when you make reservations for 12. And you see we're on a wait. And I have no empty tables I can pull up to your already set up table and you show up with 13 people, please just sit the hell down and move over to make room for your free-loading friend who just wants the free lunch and doesn't care about Melissa's birthday or Dwane's baby. K? Thanks?
Had a table of 4 women. All worked on the Arsenal (they had on badges). All had some very classy brand name purse that I could never afford to buy (unless a friend scams one for me in an underground shop in NYC). All had iPhones. They get their food pretty fast. Tons of refills. I even cracked jokes. And of course, cause it was MY table, they got great service. I go to clean off the table and see that 3 out of the 4 women left me 2 bucks. What did the 4th woman leave me? 6! Thanks awesome lady. You must have been a server before you got that big ol fancy job.

But, back to the matter at hand.
I've been having a theatre mid life crisis lately.
I'm very passionate about a few projects and it feels like no one else is.
...then I re-read this.
http://adearaccount.wordpress.com/2009/01/08/the-one-where-i-brag-and-plug/
And remembered that I do have people on my side.
And they are hella talented. (and soon, well like 6 or 7 years, I can direct kids shows and cast their hella talented spawn in my hella awesome show...)

And so...as I write this random post- I get choked up thinking about "Liz". And what that show actually meant. And how the poster signed by the amazing cast is in my kitchen greeting me every morning when I get my coffee. How the article from the Times is on my fridge along with a print out of the review Chuck Puckett wrote. How my mom called me today and said she wanted to come into town for the Wings Awards because she just knows that "Liz" is going to sweep. And how I thank God everyday for the lady who wrote this (and her hubby) because without them- that show, and my life, wouldn't have been what it is.

So, to wrap up, the next time you go out to eat- maybe talk to your server (if they aren't swamped) about what they do outside work.

.....And leave them that extra dollar.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great post about you. It's so nice to be part of something that you feel that great about, whether it's a theater production, organization, volunteer project...whatever. That's just awesome.

    And I sincerely hope that the restaurant for which you work charges 18% on tables of six or more. If not, that is bullshit and they should.

    ReplyDelete