Sunday, August 16, 2009

White Flag

As you read, I was off work Thursday. And when I came back Friday we had a former waitress who worked with us last year back again. And it also felt like I walked into a hornet's nest.



There was alot of tension and because I wasn't there, I was out of the loop.



Apparently Thursday, (APPARENTLY!!!) a member of the kitchen staff had told 2 of the servers to "Shut the fuck up" in front of one of our bosses and the boss APPARENTLY didn't say anything.



Well Friday, one of my co-workers (and one of my best friends there), "Jerry" (not her real name) had an issue with this same kitchen employee.



Words were exchanged between the 2 and "Jerry" went up to one of the bosses and apologized for what she said and said that this kitchen employee should just "grow up".



Not 5 minutes later- we were all summoned to the kitchen for a Staff Meeting.



These meetings usually never go well when we've had them in the past. It ends up being a blame game and no one leaves feeling relieved. It just creates more tension and hurt feelings.

Now, for me to go into the details of what was said exactly would involve a 50 pages post so I will just give what I thought were the "highlights"- first off, we were accused (by this kitchen staff member) that us servers "do not care about the customers or have pride in our work. We just come in, get money, and leave. It's not about the people or the food to us."

Ok...here's where Samantha almost choked a bitch. Granted for a few of the servers I TOTALLY agree with that statement. There are some women that work there who I just cannot believe work in the customer service industry because they wouldn't know a personality if it came up and bit them on the ass. But for myself, and about 4 others, I really disagree with that statement.

I have seen a co worker pick out each individual tomato out of a casserole because the customer didn't want tomatoes. There was a day when another server made a simple syrup mix for a man who wanted sweet tea (which we don't serve...). And well, if you read my last post- you are well aware of my customer service policies.

Another gem from the meeting was me being accused of being a smart ass to this kitchen staff employee and that "for the things I have done to her in the past, she has no respect for me". WHHHAAAATTTT????

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am a smart ass. But for ANY of you who have come into the restaurant and have seen me with the customers I am so far from a smart ass.

I ALWAYS say Hello and Goodbye and Have a great weekend to the kitchen when I come in and leave. Whenever I bring in donuts or cakes for breakfast I offer to every single member of the kitchen staff (even when they treat us like complete shit).

It almost felt like a personal vendetta this person had against me. And I have no idea why.

And the final nail in the "WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING PEOPLE" coffin was this. Apparently us servers are having far too much fun at work and that is to stop immediatley.

There is a core group of people I am very close to at work. It's me and 3 other women. We call ourselves the "Seinfeld" group. I'm George. And we have an Elaine, Jerry, and Kramer. They are amazing women. Smart. Funny. Talented. And hard working. They are some of the best friends I have at work- and in life. And yes, because there are days where we are so slow or so minserable and we think 'well, if I'm going home with 30 bucks, I at least want to enjoy myself". And we do. Our work always gets done. The customers are always happy. And I think they get a better eating experience because we come to the table smiling or laughing.

I am Samantha. I have a personality. And so do Kramer, Elaine, and Jerry. (unlike some of the other people I work with) I'm sorry if that shows every once in a while.

The meeting ended and I did have hurt feelings. And crazy enough- it wasn't anything that the bosses did. It was this one kitchen staff member. My bosses made valid points. And I understand and respect the way they want to run their business. When I have a business of my own someday, I will be able to run it as I see fit.

I will try to not dwell on the comments made by this employee. Because in the end, this person (as Elaine says) "is not part of my reality".

Does it bother me that the kitchen staff talks to us like we're pieces of crap all the time (in front of the bosses, at times) and no meeting was held about that, but when one of us servers finally grows a pair and says something, then it's an issue that needs to be discussed? Yes, that bothers me.

But I will go to work tomorrow. Smile. Be respectful. Do my job. Take care of my customers and go home....because that's what a good employee does.

1 comment:

  1. That cracked me up when they said you all were having too much fun. You'd think that happy employees who make the customers come back again and again would be the goal.

    ReplyDelete